If you are looking for the best wheelchair for elderly, keep on reading because this guide will help you choose the right one as per your needs and budget.
Having a senior at home means giving them the best possible care, especially if they have mobility issues. Most seniors with mobility issues require a wheelchair to get from place to place. Luckily, you won’t find any shortage of choices out there!
There are many types of wheelchairs out there that differ by size, shape, and features. Some are manually operated, while others are powered automatically. Each has its own pros and cons, but all are not made equal. A rare few will truly meet your requirements.
To find the best wheelchair for elderly, you need to clearly assess your choices. To help you out, we have shortlisted some of the best wheelchairs you can get for the elderly this year. Read on to find out!
Top 6 Best Wheelchair For Elderly (2022 Review)
- Best Overall – Karman LT-980 Ultralight Wheelchair
- Best Budget Option – Medline Lightweight and User-Friendly Wheelchair
- Best Premium Option – Karman S-305 Wheelchair
- Best Value Option – Medline Excel Extra-Wide Bariatric Wheelchair
- Best Lightweight Option – Elite Care Lightweight Folding Self Propel Wheelchair
- Best Durable Option – Invacare Tracer SX5 Wheelchair
1. Karman LT-980 Ultralight Wheelchair (Best Overall)
Verdict: The Karman LT-980 is an excellent ultralight wheelchair, weighing just 24 pounds without compromising its structural integrity. For individuals who have limited upper body strength, this wheelchair will do nicely! The high back wheelchair is comfortable and convenient and can be used across various terrains. If you plan on keeping a wheelchair in your home for your elderly, this is one of the best you will come across.
- The Karman LT-980 features cushioned armrests
- Allows you to adjust the seat high as you like
- Equipped with a high-quality soft touch grip handle and brake tip
- Footrest available, and can be removed if needed. (If removed, the total weight of your wheelchair is under 24 pounds)
- Best wheelchair for elderly with ultra lightweight design
- Comes with a seatbelt for additional safety
- Also contains a built-in pouch on the back upholstery
- This best lightweight wheelchair for elderly supports capacity of 250 pounds
- Most chairs tend to support 300 pounds or more; the Karman LT-980 lacks in this regard. Supports capacity of 250 pounds.
2. Medline Lightweight and User-Friendly Wheelchair (Best Budget Option)
Verdict: The Medline wheelchair is another lightweight wheelchair on our list, weighing just around 33 pounds. While this is a bit heavier than the Karman LT-980, it also allows for a higher weight capacity! The Medline lightweight wheelchair fits all the primary criteria you should check off when choosing a wheelchair. It is a comfortable, durable, and functional wheelchair, perfect for use by seniors!
- Comes with flip-back arms and elevated legs for additional comfort and adjustability.
- Incredibly lightweight design, weighing just around 33 pounds
- Foldable and portable design, so it is easy to move around
- Features 24” self-propelled wheels that require minimum effort to move forward
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- Best wheelchair for elderly featuring breathable nylon fabric
- May fall on the pricier side for most buyers
3. Karman S-305 Wheelchair (Best Premium Option)
Verdict: Next on our list is another wheelchair from Karman, the S-306 ergonomic wheelchair, designed specifically to help individuals with long-term mobility issues. While it does fall on the pricier side, it is well worth the investment. This best wheelchair for elderly provides quality and comfort in one!
- Lightweight design, weighing just around 29 pounds
- Ergonomic S-shaped seating that follows your body’s natural curves
- Ergonomic armrest pads and flip-back armrests for added adjustability and comfort
- Adjust the seat height to 18”, 19” or 20” as needed
- Storage pouch available on the backrest
- Best wheelchair for elderly with ergonomic hand rims
- Available in both 16” or 18” seat sizes
- Weight capacity of 250 pounds
- The model is great in many ways, but it falls on the expensive side
- The weight capacity is limited to 250 pounds
4. Medline Excel Extra-Wide Bariatric Wheelchair (Best Value Option)
Verdict: If you are a heavier user looking for a quality wheelchair, the Medline Excel Extra Wide Bariatric Wheelchair may be the perfect fit! It is a nice, solid, and well-made wheelchair that is wide enough and sturdy enough to house hefty individuals while still catering to comfort and accessibility.
- Manufactures using rust-free and chip-resistant chrome plating
- Navy vinyl upholstery that is both comfortable and easy to clean
- Comes with a pocket in the back to hold your personal items
- Equipped with swing-away detachable footrests
- Features padded and upholstered removable armrests.
- Has a 500 pounds weight capacity
- The wheelchair for elderly is available in 24” seat size
- Lacks a safety belt which many consider a standard feature
5. Elite Care Lightweight Folding Self Propel Wheelchair (Best Lightweight Option)
Verdict: The Elite Care lightweight folding self-propel wheelchair is fantastic for users who want something lighter to carry. This one weighs around 18.7 pounds and comes with plenty of additional support and safety features. It is also easy to fold and easy to carry to your destination.
- Comes equipped with attendant slowing handbrakes and parking brakes
- Can remove wheels, leg rests, and cushions for easy folding and transport
- Weighing just around 18.7 pounds with the wheels and leg rests removed
- Flip-up armrests that can be either pushed out of the way or removed entirely
- Comes in a variety of seat widths, including 16″, 18″, and 20.”
- Weight capacity of 250 pounds
- Lacks a safety belt
6. Invacare Tracer SX5 Wheelchair (Best Durable Option)
Verdict: The Invacare Tracer SX5 wheelchair is a durable, low-maintenance wheelchair. It is available in several seat sizes, so a wide range of users can find the appropriate fit. If you want a chair that lasts you a long time, this Invacare wheelchair is the right fit!
- Manufactured using a durable carbon steel frame
- Comes with 14 gauge cross braces for additional durability
- Dual embossed nylon seat and heavy-duty inner liner backrests that are both durable and comfortable
- Seat height can be adjusted from 17.5″ to 19.5.”
- Flip back armrests that can be pushed out of the way
- Comes in a range of seat sizes including 16”, 18”, 20” and 22”
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- Falls on the heavier side, so it may not be suitable for traveling